Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Everyday Mugs -- Japanese Maple Leaf






These are my everyday mugs now. Well, kind of. Half of these are everyday mugs and half are too tall. I made them over two days and somehow measured the height incorrectly on half. So, three are perfect for everyday tea and three would be great if we liked big mugs of coffee. The ones we're using everyday are very comfortable and perfect for a big mug of milk-and-sugar tea. The one I like best is actually the least perfectly round. Still, I'm going to have to make at least a few more of the correct size.

The handles were very successful in comfort--wide enough to be supportive, no sharp edges, and the curlicue can be helpfully supportive also. The thickness is perfect for "mouth feel" so that you don't feel like it's a drippy cup. The tall ones are too heavy when full for me to like them, but are okay. The shorter ones are not too heavy.

Anyone who has read this blog at all will realize that I haven't posted every day recently. However, I have actually made three more mugs (shorter still with sneezeweed flowers in sgraffito) and glazed them too. I have also made eight dinner plates with sgraffito daisy-like flowers painted in eight different colors. Those are waiting for the kiln.

Further, I got better at registration in silkscreen, learning how to fine-tune by hand using mylar, so that I finished one more round of "Got Fish?" on paper. T-shirts to come.

I also threw slabs on the potter wheel. However, I threw all those back in to be recycled for various reasons. I will post on those reasons tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment